Oil & Gas News

PETRONAS Makes Third Gas Discovery in Balingian Province, Offshore Malaysia

PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB), a subsidiary of PETRONAS, has made a gas discovery at the Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well of Block SK411, located in the shallow waters of Balingian Province about 170 kilometers northwest off the coast of Sarawak, Malaysia.

The Hadrah-1 well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 1,850 meters in November 2021 and encountered gas within an approximately 200-meter thick sequence of high-quality sandstone and carbonate reservoirs.   

PCSB is the operator of the block, with 90 per cent participating interest in its Production Sharing Contract. The remaining 10 per cent is held by E&P Malaysia Venture Sdn Bhd.   

PETRONAS Vice President of Exploration, Upstream, Emeliana Rice-Oxley said, “The gas discovery in the Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well by PCSB further proves the promising prospectivity in the underexplored Cycle I, II & III plays within the Balingian province.   

“The excellent quality of reservoirs encountered augurs the remaining potential in the surrounding areas, with PCSB well positioned to pursue the untapped similar plays in Blocks SK411 and SK306. We look forward to delivering more natural gas, the cleanest fossil fuel, safely and reliably to the market,” she added.  

Hadrah-1 is PETRONAS’ third gas discovery in this province in 2021, after Sirung-1 and Kulintang-1 in March and May respectively. In 2019, oil and gas were also discovered within the same play at the D18 field. 

Offshore Source keeps you updated with relevant information concerning the Offshore Energy Sector.

Any views or opinions represented on this website belong solely to the author and do not represent those of the people, institutions or organizations that Offshore Source or collaborators may or may not have been associated with in a professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated.

Corporate Offices

Technology Systems Corporation
8502 SW Kansas Ave
Stuart, FL 34997

Phone: +1 772.221.7720